Monday, November 06, 2006

REAL Surfers Respect Nature and the Aloha Spirit!

This is a picture of me surfing at the Fish Pass several years ago when I was a "real" surfer!
Well tomorrow is election day and the race most locals here in Corpus Christi voters are watching is the vote on the beach referendums.
Anyone here knows about the battle between greedy developers and the general population about closing off about a mile and a half of the beach to vehicular traffic.
I urge people to vote No one One and Yes on Two.
Lately there has been a lot of talk, and a large newspaper ad in this morning's Caller/Times, which has been a cheerleader for the beach give-away, claiming "real" surfers were for the beach closure. There followed a list of so-called real surfers. I know some of those on the list and I even like two of them. They may surf but they have no claim to say that those who oppose them aren't "real" surfers!
John Trice said in a recent interview "...most of the surfers in the Beach Access Coalition are old guys and they don't really surf!" Bull! That would be a surprise to some of my friends who surf nearly every day and never miss a swell.
I will admit that I no longer surf, but it's not because I don't want to. Those who know me know what the story is and to others I don't feel I owe any explanation. If you want to know about it call me and I'll tell you. I have friends I have known since the mid 60's when we all started surfing in local waters that still surf and could carve circles around some of these so-called "real" surfers!
The Beach Access Coalition is a grass-roots organization composed of all kinds of people, not just surfers, who don't appreciate our local city council's attempt to give away our public beach to rich out of town developers and their wealthy local developer friends!
It's not surprising that this election has taken a nasty turn. Some of the proponents for the beach closing see this as a way for them to get rich and to hell with the public interest!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home