Wednesday, December 07, 2005

A Little Surf Nostalgia: My Old Chevy Van, Circa '82



(Click on pic for larger image)















My Old '64 Chevy Van
This is a picture of one of my old surf/sail vehicles. This is a 1964 Chevy van that I bought from Cliff Schlabach. He and his lovely wife Roxy had already put a gazillion miles on it and I ran up a bunch more!
These were classic vehicles and they served their purposes well. Since this is a personal blog site I will be putting up other bits of the past and some of my other surf vehicles over the years.
This picture was taken at the Mudhole, on the Laguna Madre. On top is my venerable old 10'4" Hobie Gary Propper surfboard and my first sailboard, a Dufour Wing.

News! Clark Foam Closes Doors! (Dec. 7, 2005)
Word came this morning in a forwarded emailed letter that Gordon "Grubby" Clark, long time manufacturer of polyurethane foam blanks for surfboard manufacturers, was going to cease its operations. Clark cited an ongoing struggle with local, state and federal environmental regulations and agencies. He says this legal battle is not over and is still in the courts.
At issue was his use of toluene diisocaynate, or TDI, a toxic chemical.
This is news with tremendous implications for the surfing world. The immediate effect is that existing boards will see a steep increase in price and orders currently in place may not be filled by some surfboard makers.
Some companies have enough blanks in storage to keep making boards for a while but many don't keep large stocks on hand.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home